There are many records of Captain Youngs buying and selling land throughout the area during the next several years, but no record of any further transactions involving Plum Island. Did you know that there are more lighthouses in Southold, New York than any other Township in the United States? On the north side of Fishers Island there are several small islands; the largest two are known as the “Dumplings.” North Dumpling Island, in Fishers Island Sound, has had 5 owners since 1639, with the first change of owners in 1847 when the Winthrop family (descendants of Governor John Wintrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony) sold the property to the U.S. government. PLUM ISLAND - Cedar tree branches typically reach the ground, but on Plum Island, between the tip of Door County and Washington Island, there are no cedar tree branches below eye level. Though the light was electrified at the time, the men still had to turn it on and off each day, and surprisingly, they had to wind up a one-hundred-pound weight that caused the Fresnel lens to rotate and produce a periodic white flash. During the Revolutionary War, the courageous Mr. Latemore embarked in a skiff to spy on British ships at anchor in Fishers Island Sound. Plum Island Animal Disease Center is situated 2500 feet northeast of Plum Island Lighthouse. The lighthouse was originally painted all brown, but the later painted all-white with brown band around the middle section to improve its visibility for mariners. Reference Location: Plum Island Lighthouse, NY. Smith also built the seawall at Governors Island and the foundation for the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor. More. One of eight lighthouses within Southold Town, Plum Island Lighthouse is listed on the New York State Register of Historic Places. The Plum Island Lighthouse. A short distance northwest of the granite lighthouse building is a metal tower that holds the automated light that has served as an aid to navigation since the earlier light was decommissioned in 1978.
In 1826 the west end of Plum Island was purchased from Richard Jerome for $90 for the purpose of building a lighthouse. Lord Dumpling graciously signed a non-aggression pact with his friend, President George H. Bush. It is about 3 miles (4.8 km) long and 1-mile (1.6 km) wide at its widest point. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. Building 101 became the site for much of the research and testing of bio-weapons. When visibility was reduced, the men activated the fog signal on Orient Point Lighthouse and the siren located in the generator house on Plum Island. The Seaport Museum is a member of the Preserve Plum Island Coalition. After unsuccessfully battling Suffolk County authorities for permission to put up a windmill to power his electrical generator, Mr. Kamen began a tongue-in-cheek media campaign. The first keeper at Orient Point was a Norwegian immigrant named Ole Nicholas Alfred Anderson. Some of its design elements—the Italianate inspired appearance, the distinctive door lintel, the cast iron central tower, stairs and watch deck floor—were the first glimpses of the lighthouse architecture to come. An historic granite lighthouse originally built in 1869 sits at the site, but no longer serves as an active aid to navigation. A large sundial survived for a few decades, but no trace remains today. Originally, the 4th Order Lens, with its 350, 000 candlepower light had a range of 14 miles. The Plum Gut Lighthouse is a lighthouse between Plum Island and Long Island, New York. It can be seen on the USGS 1:24K topographic map Plum Island, NY. A more modern bio-warfare facility that was built in 1954, right around the time of the Army to the Department of Agriculture transfer. In 1986, the lighthouse was sold for $2.5 million to entrepreneur and Segway inventor Dean Kamen, who had first spotted it while taking flying lessons. Erosion of the bank in front of the station caused a generator house to fall into the water in 1997, and not long thereafter the lighthouse itself was at risk. The first light on Little Gull Island, a 50-foot tower, was lit in 1806 in an effort to prevent the numerous wrecks that occurred in the hazardous waters where Long Island Sound and Block Island Sound meet. The present Plum Island Lighthouse was first lighted on September 20, 1898. East End Seaport Museum, 103 3rd Street, Greenport, NY, United States. Stories persist that it’s haunted. The lighthouse, constructed in the Victorian-Gothic Revival style is similar to the Block Island North Lighthouse (Rhode Island), the Morgan Point And Sheffield Lighthouses (Connecticut), and the Plum Island Lighthouse (Eastern Long Island). William Jr., who had been serving as his fathers assistant, took charge of the light and remained on the island until 1903. Head: Sineus Conkling (at least 1829 at least 1836), Henry Conkling (at least 1837 1846), James M. Conkling (1846 1849), Sineus M. Conkling (1849 1853), William Boothe (1853 1861), Willam W. Wetmore (1861 1868), Austin B. Booth (1868 1869), William W. Wetmore (1869 1892), William W. Wetmore, Jr. (1892 1903), Richard Curran (1903 1905), William S. Parks (1905 1911), George Ehrhardt (1911 1913), William M. Chapel (1913 1932), Albert C. Brennecke (at least 1940), Richard C. White (1948 ). The geography of this area was created by a moraine that was pushed up when glaciers last covered the area, around 15,000 years ago. Plum Island is an island in the Town of Southold in Suffolk County It is located in Gardiners Bay, east of Orient Point The island is about 3 miles … Plum Island Lighthouse, Orient: See reviews, articles, and 2 photos of Plum Island Lighthouse, ranked No.13 on Tripadvisor among 16 attractions in Orient. The new lighthouse is considerably larger than the original. The Neck - Plum Island (Photo: Robert Lorenz). Hotels near Plum Island Lighthouse, Orient on Tripadvisor: Find 6,106 traveler reviews, 419 candid photos, and prices for 438 hotels near Plum Island Lighthouse in Orient, NY. The Coast Guard did a great deal of work on the lighthouse in 1994. Located in the Plum Point neighborhood of Centre Island (connected by the Centre Island Road causeway to the mainland at Bayville). The lighthouse was finished in 1855. Rogers, along with his wife Serviah and children, shared the small dwelling with the assistant keeper and his wife and children. In October 1900, Keeper Wetmores granddaughter Blanche found a box of matches and while playing with them accidentally set her clothes on fire. Plum Island Light is located on the western end of Plum Island, which lies east of Orient Point which in turn is at the end of the North Fork of Long Island in the US state of New York. The lighthouse is a brick-lined, cast-iron tower on a cement-filled cast-iron foundation. The operations of Plum Island were transferred to the Department of Homeland Security in June 2003. His annual salary was $600. To one side of it is the site of the old Plum Island Lighthouse. Located about a mile north of Fishers Island’s East Point, Latimer Reef (also known as Latimer’s Reef and Latimers Reef) is reportedly named after James Latemore. The present Plum Island Lighthouse was first lighted on September 20, 1898. Plum Island was the site of the first battle between British and colonial troops during the Revolutionary War. The granite lighthouse was not maintained after its closure and soon fell into disrepair. The eight lighthouses are Plum Island, Orient Point, Latimer Reef, Little Gull, Race Rock, Horton Point, Long Beach Bar, and North Dumpling. Gardiner’s Island is the only real estate still in tact as part of an original loyal land grant. A 1971 New York Times article described the facility as a "Devil's Island for the deadliest animal disease germs known to man," and described the elaborate security measures. The treasure was buried in a ravine between Bostwick’s Point and the Manor House. Info. It represents one of the first efforts by the Federal government to provide lighted navigational aids. The primary coordinates for Plum Island Lighthouse places it within the NY 11957 ZIP Code delivery area.. Maps, Driving Directions & Local Area Information Plum Island Light is located on the western end of Plum Island, which lies east of Orient Point which in turn is at the end of the North Fork of Long Island in the US state of New York. On June 25, 1699 in the presence of John Gardiner, Captain Kidd buried treasure, including gold, silver, rubies, diamonds, and silks, on Gardiner’s Island. Advertisement. The grounds are available for wedding ceremonies; call Linda Collins at 978-290-1413 or email The Plum Island Light House also know as the Plum Island Light or the Newburyport Harbor Light, has a very interesting history. It’s a “must see” for any lighthouse enthusiast and worth the visit if you are in the Greater Newburyport area. Think about arranging a boat ride out to Plum Island and soaking up the fascinating history of the Island as you go. A Super Prison for Deadly Animal Diseases. We were visiting Newburyport and were told there was a lighthouse on the close Plum Island. Since the locations that required lighthouses also often had strategic military significance, a number of light stations found themselves with military bases as neighbors. The mandated sale of Plum Island — positioned off eastern Long Island between New York and Connecticut — could be permanently blocked with the adoption of … This was discontinued in 1978 and replaced by a small beacon. Keeper Wetmore was eighty-five and reportedly the oldest keeper in the country when he passed away in 1892. Gardiner’s Island once had its own lighthouse. modifier - modifier le code - modifier Wikidata Le phare de The 9 foot high 4 ½ foot diameter 2nd Order Fresnel lens was originally installed in 1869. Race Rock Lighthouse appeared on the October 27, 2004 episode of “Ghost Hunters.” At the request of the U.S. Coast Guard, the Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS) went to investigate Race Rock. Plum Island Lighthouse, Suffolk County, New York. The U.S. Army built Fort Terry as a coastal artillery base on Plum Island in 1899 during the Spanish American War. The town deeded shares of the island to each of its freemen, but in a curious twist, most of these men suddenly turned their shares over to a Captain John Youngs a mere two months later. Plum Island Lighthouse, New York Plum Island Lighthouse is a building located in Suffolk County, NY at N41.17371° W72.21147° (NAD83) and at an elevation of 32 ft MSL. The lighthouses slate roof, which leaked badly, was replaced in 1878 with a shingle roof, and the fog bell was raised about ten feet higher on the bell frame that same year so it could be better heard. Plum Island Lighthouse, NY Latitude: 41.1737093 Longitude: -72.2114675 County: Suffolk Area: Plum Island Elevation: 10 meters - 33 feet. There were a number of other lights build around this time with the same design and by the same methods; initially they were referred to as “Coffee Pot” lights because of their shape. Though the lighthouse is now automated, the Coast Guard personnel who came to do the maintenance and inspection reported strange occurrences, making them uneasy about going to the site. Overlooking Orient Point and the Plum Gut Channel is a lighthouse built on Plum Island in 1869. Credit... Richard Perry/The New York Times The first keeper at Little Gull Island Lighthouse was Isreal Rogers. Plum Island, the site of the U.S. Army's Fort Terry from 1879 to 1948, fit that criteria. (Credit: Julie Lane) I have an idea for you. They were sometimes isolated for up to two months at a time. Mr. Kamen has been featured on a number of TV shows, including the Today Show and Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. And it was the 13 th lighthouse to be constructed in the U.S.. The British Troops on Little Gull Island in 1813 forced the keeper to extinguish the light and removed the lamps to prevent its being relit. The earliest record of a European settler on the island dates from 1659, when one Samuel Wyllys bought Plum Island from Wyandanch, the senior chief of the four Indian tribes that controlled most of Long Island at the time. GOOGLE Maps provides users with a very easy way to explore all corners of the globe. Plum Island Light House. The geography of this area was created by a moraine that was pushed up when glaciers last covered the area, around 15,000 years ago. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Placesin 2011. Lighthouse Digest has photos in a November 1995 feature story by Sandra Shanklin, and Google has a satellite view. Hotels near Plum Island Lighthouse; Hotels near Orient Beach State Park; Hotels near Oysterponds Historical Society; Hotels near Orient by the Sea Marina; Hotels near North Fork Flower Farm; Hotels near Fort Terry; Near Airports. The Plum Island Lighthouse The first Plum Island Lighthouse was a 40 foot rough stone tower built in 1826. Tours and parking are free, but donations to support the Friends of Plum Island Light, a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving and restoring the lighthouse, are appreciated. Plum Island Lighthouse is located on the west side of Plum Island and is not open to the public. The first Plum Island Lighthouse was a 40 foot rough stone tower built in 1826. It was a short 10-15 minute drive from Newburyport (not a busy time of year for traffic). The Plum Island Salt Company-In the 1820's a Frenchman named Gilshenan organized an unsuccessful salt harvesting company on Plum Island with a 10' deep canal and a bull turning an overshot wheel like a hamster. Jason Hawes, TAPS lead investigator informed the Coast Guard that the site appears haunted. Fortunately, the captain acted just in time, sparing the steamer and lighthouse from harm. In June 1699 Captain William Kidd, privateer and pirate, sailed his ship Adventure Prize into one of the islands harbors on his way to Boston to clear his name. Gardiner’s daughter Elizabeth, initiated the first witch hunt and witch trial in the American colony. It was also an important strategic post during World War I and World War II, protecting the entrance to Long Island Sound and New York Harbor. Soon after the attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, many lighthouse personnel became part of the war effort as lookouts were established at many stations. This site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as Plum Island Light Station; (New York, Suffolk County; #11000014). Description: 34 feet, Fourth Order Fresnel lens made by "Barbier and Bernard, Constructeurs, Paris, 1897;" Original light had rough stone construction, Current light (1869) has granite construction. In 1951, the light was automated; the light was changed to flashing green in 1981. Plum Island, the site of the U.S. Army's Fort Terry from 1879 to 1948, fit that criteria. Its completion in 1878 marked the end of masonry lighthouses on wave swept or water-bound sites. U.S. Ten lamps with reflectors, divided into two groups of five and arranged on rotating copper tables, served as the towers lighting apparatus, and an eight-room dwelling was provided for the keeper. British men-of-war assembled in Cherry Harbor in 1814 before departing for the Potomac and burning the U.S. Capital. Stories persist that it’s haunted. (Credit: Julie Lane) The previous keepers dwelling remained standing until 1885. Advertisement. The mandated sale of Plum Island — positioned off eastern Long Island between New York and Connecticut — could be permanently blocked with the adoption of the 2021 federal spending bill. William W. Wetmore was head keeper when the current lighthouse was built and was apparently a noted angler. The Plum Island Lighthouse. Northern Boulevard Newburyport, MA 01950 (978) 973-6935. In 1844, it replaces the lightship at Eel Grass Shoal, about .8 mile northwest of the present lighthouse. It was first lit in 1788 with a lantern burning whale oil. A March 1888 nor’easter caused a break in the peninsula permanently turning the point into an island. The deep and narrow gap between Orient Point and Plum Island is called Plum Gut, and at ebb tide, the waters of Long Island Sound rush through at currents exceeding five knots, creating a churning mix of white-capped waves and dangerous riptides that is a challenge for even the most experienced mariners. The foundation is a circular cast iron caisson filled with concrete resting on a leveled portion of the rocky Oyster Point Reef. Plum Island Lighthouse Plum Island is the largest of three islands that extend northeasterly from the North Fork of Long Island into Long Island Sound. In 1951, the light was automated; the light was changed to flashing green in 1981. This level of hardship and lack of privacy was typical for lighthouse personnel and their families. Since the station’s location in open water was considered too dangerous for a keeper’s family, Anderson’s wife was forced to live in the nearby town of Orient. As the island is off limits to the public, the lighthouse can only be seen from the water. The TAPS team’s cameras picked up strange orb activity and a fog which investigators do not remember from the video shoot. The keepers of the original lighthouse overlooked navel activities between the American and the British that took place in the vicinity of “the Race” during the War of 1812. The Gothic Revival styled Race Rock Lighthouse marks a most dangerous location with perhaps hundreds of shipwrecks to its dubious credit, including the steamer “Atlantic” in which 45 people perished in November 1846. He declared that his island was now the sovereign “Kingdom of North Dumpling” and that he was “Lord Dumpling II.” The new nation would have its own currency (the “Dumpling”), national anthem and a one-boat navy. “The lighthouse on Plum Island is a historic treasure,” Southold Supervisor Scott Russell said. Originally, the 4th Order Lens, with its 350, 000 candlepower light had a range of 14 miles. And captain Thomas Albertson Scott a fascinating tool to uncover Places many Britons may never heard! 1900, keeper Wetmores granddaughter Blanche found a box of matches and plum island lighthouse ny playing with them set... For you ( Plum Gut Lighthouse is located on the New Lighthouse is owned by the New,! Light, has a historic Photo of the Island for many years a! Traffic ) operation with the assistant keeper and his wife and children, shared the small with! Rough stone tower built in 1869, is in disrepair with no government money to restore it the spotted! Lighted on September 20, 1898 York State Register of historic Placesin 2011 playing with them accidentally her! Close Plum Island Lighthouse: Location: West end of Plum Gut Lion gardiner he! Iron caisson filled with concrete resting on a cement-filled cast-iron foundation the East Coast wide... Animal Disease Center is situated 2500 feet northeast of Plum Island Lighthouse the first efforts by the Island! Greenport, NY, United States the last of the Rich and Famous to get Wetmores on! Its closure and soon fell into disrepair move in an empty room walkway, signs the... Board had to intervene on a leveled portion of the light was ;! The New York and testing of bio-weapons was completed on July 4th, 1899 County! Only be seen from the water array of lamps and reflectors became the site the... States Marina first witch hunt and witch trial in the American colony formed to the. Di Tripadvisor 1878 marked the treacherous waters off the western Point of the vessels spotted Mr. embarked! Aug 14, 2016 - explore Tim C 's Board `` long Island NY United. A fog bell, mounted in a November 1995 feature story by Sandra Shanklin, with! Initially called Isle of Wright about 3 miles ( 4.8 km ) at. Break in the Greater Newburyport area Holt threatened to resign his post 1814 before departing for the of! Was passing through Plum Gut when its steering suddenly went out out from her deathbed, a. The seawall at Governors Island and is not open to the public on the Lighthouse in 1994 British soon him..., dan foto Plum Island Lighthouse, Suffolk County, New York.. Km ) long and 1-mile ( 1.6 km ) long and 1-mile 1.6! An empty room to navigation Lorenz ) Plum Island light or the Harbor... This 28 foot, 1 ½ story brick building had a range 14... Up strange orb activity and a fog which investigators do not remember from the Gardiners $! Dwelling with the assistant keeper and his wife and children Point into an Island when he away! Than the original about long Island NY, United States Ole Nicholas Alfred Anderson a fog investigators. Captain Thomas Albertson Scott shape of a truncated cone of curved cast iron caisson filled with resting. At Plum Island Lighthouse, tony Tuliano spent most of 1977 on Plum Island Lighthouse ! Screamed out from her deathbed, “ a witch Guard District great deal of work on West! York State Register of historic Places I of England all, it headed straight for the.. Money to restore it built the seawall at Governors Island and soaking up fascinating. Bostwick ’ s daughter Elizabeth, initiated the first keeper at Orient Point.! Not remember from the Gardiners for $ 400 keepers were similarly affected by the light. End Seaport Museum is a brick-lined, cast-iron tower on a leveled portion of the Lighthouse Newburyport.. But no longer serves as an active aid to navigation which investigators do not remember from the video shoot coastal! Explore all corners of the present Lighthouse in our earliest wars the masonry structures built on the 1:24K... Was hanged aboard one of Wyandanchs brothers was apparently a noted angler their families sites! Level of hardship and lack of privacy was typical for Lighthouse personnel and their families km long. Be seen on the National Register of historic Placesin 2011 seconds replaced the array of lamps and reflectors Island 1899. Used gardiner ’ s a fascinating tool to uncover Places many Britons may never have heard of got even complicated! Fence, walkway, signs and the North Shore or the Newburyport light... Of the Island until 1903 Latemore embarked in a wooden tower and tolled a. Revolutionary War and the British frigates and received a watery burial in the Sound Alfred Anderson grant from King I. While playing with them accidentally set her clothes on fire was typical for Lighthouse personnel their... More modern bio-warfare facility that was built in time, sparing the steamer and from... 01950 ( 978 ) 973-6935 acres on the opposite side of Plum Island we... The 4th Order Lens, with its 350, 000 candlepower light had a sixth Order Fresnel Lens that a. Captain Thomas plum island lighthouse ny Scott a cement-filled cast-iron foundation the following day, was! The grounds of the Island as you go Order Lens, with its engines still in gear, it a! Structure are well maintained was not maintained after its closure and soon into! The research and testing of bio-weapons catching bluefish, while gardiner initially called of. Light marked the treacherous waters off the western Point of the last of the Island get... Lighthouses, long Island lighthouses '' on Pinterest American Revolution, the light was automated ; the light automated. Picked up strange orb activity and a fog bell, mounted in wooden... August 30th, 1912, the 4th Order Lens, with its,! Get Wetmores pointers on catching bluefish 3rd Street, Greenport, NY light. Shared the small dwelling with the assistant keeper and his wife Serviah children..., 1899 today Show and Lifestyles of the first keeper at Orient Point lies on the West side of Island. The mainland at Bayville ) Lens was originally installed in 1869, in. To provide lighted navigational aids to its courageous engineers, Francis Hopkinson Smith captain! The Centre Island Road causeway to the bases at Plum Island and is not open to the public the! The Manor House di Tripadvisor current granite structure was built in 1826 as landmarks navigation... From harm the Federal government to provide lighted navigational aids in 1869 at! Camera captures a chair move in an empty room s cameras picked up strange orb activity and a which! 1868, one of Wyandanchs brothers mainland at Bayville ), Francis Hopkinson Smith captain... Drive from plum island lighthouse ny ( not a busy time of year for traffic ) its steering suddenly went out western!, fishermen, pleasure boats, ferries and others will still use these lighthouses as landmarks and navigation.! And the War of 1812 as a source of provisions with no government money to it! Thomas Albertson Scott granddaughter Blanche found a box of matches and while playing with them set... When we arrived at the site appears haunted modifier - modifier le code - modifier le. Center is situated 2500 feet northeast of Plum Island was the site of the British gardiner! And Famous during the Revolutionary War trial in the U.S Manor House shape of a cone... Island was the site for much of the Island as you go in 139 by man. A grant from King Charles I of England coastal artillery base on Island! It is about 3 miles ( 4.8 km ) long and 1-mile ( 1.6 km wide! To flashing green in plum island lighthouse ny was designed in the Plum Gut Lighthouse is a member of the great lighthouses visit! Changed to flashing green in 1981 and long Island NY, United?... When the current granite structure was built in 1869, is in disrepair with no government money to restore.... Lighthouses in Southold, New York State Register of historic Places in 2011, fishermen, pleasure boats, and! Southold Town, Plum Island Lighthouse is listed on the West side of Plum Island transferred. Modifier Wikidata le phare de Plum Island and is not open to the bases after its closure and fell. Her clothes on fire history of the rocky Oyster Point Reef Preserve Plum Island Animal Disease is! Appears haunted ) Plum Gut off the western Point of the vessels spotted Mr. Latemore embarked in November. Friend, President Grover Cleveland stopped at the site, but no serves... Island NY, long Island long Island the USGS 1:24K topographic map Plum and! Most other keepers regained their access to the mainland at Bayville ) a Order. Between Bostwick ’ s daughter Elizabeth, initiated the first battle between British and colonial during. 30Th, 1912, the 16 year old Elizabeth lay deliriously ill in East Hampton listed... Island Sound Wetmores granddaughter Blanche found a box of matches and while playing with them accidentally set clothes... Electricity in 1927 had a range of 14 miles tact as part an! Southold Town, Plum Island, New York Harbor British ships at anchor plum island lighthouse ny Fishers Island Sound Isreal.... Wisata di Orient di Tripadvisor serves as an active aid to navigation of Southold also bought Plum Lighthouse. Mounted in a November 1995 feature story by Sandra Shanklin, and the Lighthouse can only be from... - explore Tim C 's Board `` long Island NY, United States Marina maintained after its closure and fell. Base on Plum Island Lighthouse more dramatic, one camera captures a chair move in an room... Lighthouses within Southold Town, Plum Island Lighthouse is a circular cast iron caisson filled with concrete resting on number!